Friday, June 09, 2006

Red


Taking Ryan, Molly and Sally to see Cars today. This picture is a few years old now, so they've grown up lots, but you get a good idea of their evil, I mean, cuteness. I'd be going to see it on my own, anyway, but they'll enjoy it.

***

Obnoxious word count: 8,262. I'll stop reporting this at some point, I promise.

***

Has anyone seen the details for Tupelo's upcoming reading period? 35 dollars to submit your manuscript. And everyone gets a short critique. That's a lot of money for a short critique. I appreciate the need to charge a reading fee, but, that's steep. Tupelo is a great press and I own a ton of their books, but I can't decide what to think about this. Your thoughts?

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

Jack wants to see Cars *very* badly. You'll have to let me know if it's too racey (hardee-har-har) for three-year-olds.

____

Tupelo's reading fee is way out of my league. Although, I suppose those fees will pay for a lot of beautiful french covers. Tupelo's books *are* gorgeous.

Anne Haines said...

I won't submit a ms. to Tupelo for that price, but I love their books and I think if I had a ms. I really believed in & strongly felt it was up their alley, I might give it a shot. I dunno. I'm sure part of what they are trying to do is make people think long & hard about whether they really think they have something good enough -- but that is still a lot of money.

Unknown said...

Ahh, the red hair. Lovely. :)And you know I'm not biased in the least.

Annandale Dream Gazette said...

About the Tupelo reading fee--I think it's a good idea, actually. At least you get something for your money, other than an impersonal rejection note, Poets crave response & feedback, I think, and $35 for an honest comment or two seems like a bargain. I mean at least it's straightforward, cash for comments. And if they use their money to make beautiful books or pay a poet or two, that doesn't seem wrong.

marybid said...

$35 for comments AND a book would be perfect, IMO.

Paul said...

That seems like a perfect idea, Mary. Good thinking.