Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Glass

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was very good, though I still think Prisoner of Azkaban is the best film in the series. Alphonso Cuaron brought a macabre poetry to Harry's world, some of which is carried over into this film, though Mike Newell adds a element of classical elegance to the precedings. Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort is unrecognizable, which is good, and plays the villain well. I was hungry, no, starving, throughout the movie so I feel I paid it only about half-attention. I'll see it again after catching Walk the Line, which I'm anxious to see.

***

I finished season six of Buffy this weekend and Jesus, am I glad. Another great year, but I'll be damned if it isn't the darkest, most dysfunctional thing I've seen in, well, forever. I still maintain that Willow's arc seems the least grounded in the histories of their characters, but all the other developments seems logical, the seeds for these storylines sewn over the years. I mean, it's a stretch to go with Willow ending up where she does. Buffy, Xander, Spike, yeah, that's all true to them, it's writers mining the characters in rich, real ways.

I said I was glad, but I'm not in that I'm nearly to the end and that's bittersweet.

***

Everyone who bought books: they'll be going out today and tomorrow, so look for them soon in your mailboxes.

If anybody else still wants one, I have a handful left.

***

I feel the Super Oracular Magic 8-Ball speaking to me. Ask your questions!

11 comments:

The Lettershaper said...

Very much enjoyed your blog, wonderful musings.

Paul said...

Thanks, Blue!

LKD said...

I saw Goblet yesterday and loved it. It's the only one in the series that I sat through without peering at my watch toward the end and wondering if it'd ever be over. The dragon clambering like a bat...perhaps clambering isn't the right word but I've got a migraine coming on fast, so clambering is what I'm sticking with...on the roof of the castle was one of the best bits of special effects I've seen in quite some time.

Now, magic 8 ball, may I ask more than one question? I have 3:

1. Will I ever publish a book?
2. Will I ever get married?
3. Will I ever have children?

If I'm only allowed one, answer the first one, please.

Oh, and Walk the Line's next on my list too.

Paul said...

Laurel,

1. Magic 8 Ball says yes.
2. Magic 8 Ball says yes. To me.
3. Magic 8 Ball says ask again later.

Robert said...

I agree about Goblet of Fire: good but not as good as Prisoner of Azkaban. Question for Magic 8-Ball: Who's the winner of the Black Lawrence contest?

Paul said...

Magic 8 Ball says the winner was just selected, but Black Lawrence Press will do the official announcing, I imagine. I'll see if they want me to post.

Robert said...

Wow, that is one fast Magic 8-Ball--thanks!

LKD said...

Well, I smiled and smiled when I read the magic 8 ball's answers to my questions...and then that smile felt wholly inappropriate when I read about your pizza delivery man.

So, thank you, or rather, thank your 8 ball, and I'm sorry, Paul to read of that act of brutality.

Have you ever seen the movie Six Degrees of Separation? If you haven't, do.

One degree. One degree separates you from a man, an animal, really, who is capable of of killing another man with a hammer. One degree.

A bad check, you said? How is it possible that human beings can kill each other over such small, small things?

Paul said...

Glad you smiled, Laurel. I did too.

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Saw both movies this week and neither disappoint, though I agree that GOF is not as rich, or well-transitioned, as POA. Phoenix's and Witherspoon's performances in "Walk the Line" are just amazing.

Question for the Magic 8 Ball: Will Auburn win the national championship in football next year?

Alexis said...

One of my favorite sex scenes of all time is that scene where Buffy and Spike are um, "making love" when the house is falling down around them. I think it's ingenious, given the chaotic nature of their affair. Plus, it was pretty hot.

My blog, btw, is http://www.livejournal.com/users/lfirebrand

Sometimes, I post your poems. *gasp*