Saturday, February 23, 2008

Tennessee goth

Dear, sweet, H.R. Pufnstuf, who knew your druggy 70's hangover would attract so much attention here? All I know is it felt right at the time.

***

Today I'm making what are very likely last edits on my next book of poems. I love the sense of resolution generated by a deadline: that it is time to choose. The shedding that happens, that you fear beforehand, is in reality a great pleasure. You see the real book become itself.

You spend so much time mucking about in uncertainty that any time it falls away is golden.

***


Ultra-mega congratulations to ultra-mega babe Stacey Brown for winning the 2007 Cider Press Review Book Award, chosen by Tony Hoagland.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Do you have an email for Stacey? I tried to email her, but it bounced. If you do, email it to me? Thanks.

Annandale Dream Gazette said...

wow book number 3. you're very prolific. Would you mind if I asked you a few questions about your writing habits like: do you write every day? is there a certain time of day or night that you write? how old were you when you started writing? Maybe this will all be revealed in the memoirs?

Paul said...

I don't write every day, per se, but pretty close. No certain time. Usually not before noon. I was 17 when I began writing poems.