Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Only hold

Yesterday was exhausting: up early to make it to an appointment with Human Resources, signing lots of forms, then rushing across campus to get ready to teach when
the call came with the news that I was asked to keep in confidence a while. Hard to believe and mentally taxing. Word and congratulations spread through the department. Then I had to go meet with students. The way it goes.

***

I have a kind of hobby collecting forgotten R&B songs, great ones that are just never played anymore. This weekend a commercial used one I'd never heard before: dark, sultry, steamy, full of self-loathing. Wow, I thought, heading to iTunes to look up the title. Only to discover it was Amy Winehouse. Her song "You Know I'm No Good." Wow is right. I was well aware of her, what she was supposed to sound like, her tabloid life.

But, damn, Back to Black is just about the greatest recreation of Motown I've heard in some ages.

***


Back to work.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, Paul. You've got to tell the world...This is getting to be too much!!!

RAD

brian said...

Congratulations.

Matthew Thorburn said...

Oh man, you're doing that classic blogger thing -- the old I-have-great-news-but-I-can't-tell-you-it's-a-secret routine!

Well, whatever it is (and of course I, like everyone else, think I know), congratulations, man.

When can you spill those beans?

Melanie said...

Apparently that "they tried to make me go to rehab" song is the anthem of Carrollton. . .I hear it constantly on the radio. You know you're just torturing people, right?

Name: Matthew Guenette said...

As a lifelong underachiever who never won much more than a fat lip and $5 on a scratch ticket, I resent your "the way it goes" comment...

Anonymous said...

Consider me tortured. You know, a girl can only take so much suspense...

Name: Matthew Guenette said...

I too am a girl who can only take so much suspense...

Anonymous said...

You are a shameless tease, sir.

Tell us!! Tell us!!

Anonymous said...

The only news worth this kind of
teasing is the news that I won the lottery. Or was gonna be knighted or something. "Bevo," you'll say,
when the time is 'right,' "has won
75 million dollars!" Yeah! That's
news worth waiting for.

Paul said...

So true, so true.....

poethussy said...

Hey, nice call on the Winehouse. I just downloaded it.