Monday, July 24, 2006

Bring your lovin' over

Thanks to Poetry Southeast for taking "Trivial Pursuit." For a moment, I thought it was one of the several poems I completely rewrote last week, but no. Thank goodness.

***

Yesterday I watched Ken Burns' documentary on Superman, Look, Up in the Sky - The Amazing Story of Superman, and it's pretty great, the first half especially, documenting the character's origins, initially, as a villain holding the earth in a kind of fascist thrall. Also interesting were the many different iterations on radio and television, including the George Reeves show, which I remember seeing some when I was a kid. Following his suicide, there was a never seen pilot produced: The Adventures of Superpup. It's no wonder this never made it past pilot stage. With sets and stages still standing, the show's producers decided to, uh, hire midgets, dress them up like weird dog people, and act out Superman storylines. I kid you not, my friends. The weirdest thing I've ever seen, like some acid trip gone horribly, horribly wrong.

At two hours, it could stand to be longer: it seemed to me Christopher Reeve's injury could have stood a little more focus, though I know why it didn't receive more. More as well on Richard Donner being fired from Superman II, though he shot 70-80% of it.

At any rate, I loved it.

2 comments:

Nick said...

Congrats on the Southeast pub!

Anne Haines said...

Congrats on Poetry Southeast! That's getting to be the trendy blogger journal, isn't it? *grin* Apparently they have good taste...