Sunday, June 26, 2005

Hooligans

Last night a kid threw a rock at me. I was in the street where I live, just looking up at the sky, enjoying the night air. And then zing, a rock the size of an egg goes by. I turned around and about a hundred feet from me sits a kid atop his bicycle. So I did the prudent, safe thing:

I took off after the little punk.

"Hey, did you just lose a rock?" I called after him.

I don't think he expected that. He sped down the hill on his bike. I followed after him a ways, just to let him know, well, what I'm not sure. That he can expect crazy wheelchair man to follow him for a few blocks, I guess.

11 comments:

poet-scholar-professor-type said...

...ah, beautiful moment. i like remembering how, as kids, we had the mythology of the neighborhood...tha crazy man there, the old lady w/ cats there...

in my neighborhood, i'm the black mom w/ a white kid who has big witchy hair. they torment me by putting dirt in my mailbox. i scare them by knowing their names...

Anonymous said...

You "ROCK." Ha.

Anonymous said...

I laughed outloud at this, and it felt so wrong somehow. Your reaction was stellar. Had I been there, however, he and his bike would have been in the closest garbage can. Oh, with the rock too.

Anne Haines said...

"Did you just lose a rock?" is one of those things I'd think of saying maybe two weeks later. What a great reaction on your part.

Anonymous said...

About three months ago some f*cking local punks (of which there are many in Baltimore) threw a rock hard at my window which for some reason didn't break. I ran outside, caught the one closest to me, marched him onto the porch, and called the cops. The cop (as they all are here) was big and pretty damn nasty to him, though he winked at me. It took every drip of the tough hoodlum's cracker blood to keep from crying like the little bitch he was. Ha ha! Brat.

shanna said...

kids are awful. except when they're not. at least he was a bad shot.

Unknown said...

There's got to be some way of hooking up a pellet gun to your chair and aiming it with one of those joysticks.
;-)

Paul said...

A pellet gun! Or a paintball gun!

Or, maybe, a bazooka...

Oliver de la Paz said...

Dude, that's SO not cool. Glad you scared the pants off the kid.

Charles said...

I can't even believe this. I'm glad you went after him. Who throws a rock at somebody??

Anonymous said...

Man, that's awesome.