Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Today

was just the best day ever in class. I gave a pop quiz, which I should not admit is intensely gratifying, good discussion all around, in which one student, appropos of almost nothing, announced she was bisexual. Several other girls were scandalized by this admission, their faces near to falling off. Some light bulbs flickered on above others' heads for the first observable time this semester. One student made an absolutely astute, killer observation on texts which encourage the reader to engage in a kind of composition simultaneous with the reading. Points for him. For almost all of them, today. Good classes. They had a kind of spark within them. When that happens my job is fairly easy.

***

Ordered out tonight: pancakes! I'm reminded of a fragment by Whitman on his wonderment over oranges shipped up from Florida. Of course, what wasn't a source of wonder for him?

***

Listening to: "Bring It On Home To Me," by Sam Cooke.

***

Tell me your good news.

3 comments:

k1tchenwitch said...

Really??? You can order out pancakes?? I'm jealous. And Sam Cooke, ahhhh. . .
You really are having a good day.
*enjoy it* :)

Kelli Russell Agodon - Book of Kells said...

I'm also shocked about the pancakes too. Where do you live, Heaven? That is too cool.

Good news? Hmmm... it was a perfect day to walk to the beach. My husband bought me M&M cookies. And two of my cats greeted me at the door. The little things in life...

Glad your day was so good as well. Surprise bi-sexuality announcements always make for good days.

Anonymous said...

You never know what will engage a class. Last week, one class interacted more than ever due to a discussion of current horror movies, which spawned innocently enough by our discussing argumentation and Stephen King's reasoning for people's love of horror films ("It was Lennon and McCartney who said that all you need is love, and I would agree with that. As long as you keep the gators fed.")

Today, one student exclaimed at the beginning of class, "I didn't like this story at all (in speaking of Porter's "The Jilting of Granny Weatherall"). At discussion's end, she smiled, "I really like this story now. It makes sense."

It's a winner for all of us today apparently. :)

-Melissa