Thursday, January 20, 2005

Fire!

So practically all of my students have revealed themselves to be past or present pyromaniacs, which I salute and endorse, but it's just funny. I'm not sure how it even came up, but apparently a good portion of them spent their childhoods burning stuff up. Many of them come from more rural backgrounds and I think it's more common to burn leaves or rubbish than, say, someone who lived within city limits where there are often ordinances against burning. I had to tell the story of one of my brothers setting the doghouse on fire years ago. My own poem, "The Pyromaniac's Eulogy," has its roots in my firebug childhood.

***

Fighting off a cold. Feeling ok.

***

Saw A Very Long Engagement this weekend. A little long, I thought, but lovely.

***

Today's word is ASAP. I'm using it as often as possible. It makes me happy.

3 comments:

C. Dale said...

I think we are all fascinated and drawn to fire. I suspect it predates the modern concepts of the human.

Feel better soon. If you feel feverish, drink lots of fluids.

Unknown said...

Famous past time.

If you are ever behind a K-mart in the drainage ditch: Take a Nylon sock(I don't know what they make them out of now); set fire to the end then proceed to twirl in as dangerous and careless manner as possible; the little globs of fiery nylon that fly off and stick to things make a great noise like a zipper being zipped except better. I have no idea how none of us ended up with a glob of that in the eye or a napalm like burn somewhere else. Of course, we enjoyed having bottle rocket wars back then also. :-)

Jennifer said...

I don't know if you've been following all this GoogleWhacking nonsense, but I found one today, (and I think you should assign the creation of these to your students -- cue evil laughter): Pyromania Sestinas.